I am indebted to Sharon Gaskin for this post – Get more clients. Sharon is the MD of The Trainers Training Company – Helping Freelance Trainers Create Successful Businesses. This post ticks lots of boxes for me and the clients I would like to work with hence it’s inclusion into our blog roll. Than you Sharon.
A recurring theme for me this week has been the value of getting clients to come to you rather than you having to continually chase business. I remembered the first time this happened to me. The morning after one of my live Webcasts I had a call from an organisation asking me to go and run a Workshop for their members.
So how do you do it? How do you get clients to seek you out, call you and say they want you and must have you!!
Get more clients
1. Be brave – be different – make sure you stand out! Have a look at your business card, for example. If you gave it to someone at a Networking Event would it be a talking point? Would people remember it? What makes your card different from all the rest of the freelance trainers out there?
2. Get known for doing one thing, do it consistently and really well. The most successful freelance trainers I know are the ones who specialise in ONE area. Someone said to me the other day, does anyone ever ask you if you know a really good generalist? The answer is No!
3. Position yourself as an expert. That’s why it’s vitally important to specialise. You can’t be an expert in hundreds of different areas.
4. Be visible. Get out there – both on and off line.
Be consistent with your networking activity. 10 minutes a day on Twitter, Linked In or Facebook is better than 1 full day once a month. By doing this both your name and what you do slowly drip feed into people’s consciousness.
5. Be authentic. Be yourself. Accept that some people may not like you, but hopefully most will. People buy from people who they know, like and trust. People are also attracted to people who they feel resonate with them, who are genuine and clear about what they stand for.
6. Build up a following and an army of fans! If you are doing all of the above this will happen naturally and before you know it more and more people will be ringing you and asking you to do do business with them!
Sharon Gaskin is the Founder of The Trainers Training Company helping freelance trainers to create successful and profitable training businesses.